Ball-headed club - ROM2005_5947_1

ROM2005_5947_1

Ball-headed club

Maker: Owned by George H. M. Johnson, Mohawk (Haudenosaunee/Iroquois)
Medium:Hand carved wood
Geography: Six Nations of the Grand River, Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Date: mid-19th century
Dimensions:
38 × 11 × 10 cm
Object number: 922.1.20
Credit Line: Gift of Miss Evelyn H.C. Johnson; The Chiefswood Collection
Not on view
Description

In the early 20th century Evelyn H.C. Johnson, a member of a prominent Six Nations Mohawk family, donated to the Royal Ontario Museum a large number of objects named the Chiefswood Collection after the name of the Johnson family home. In this collection, Evelyn Johnson created a remarkable record of her family over four generations, and of events that involved the Iroquoian people at Six Nations from the end of the American Revolution to the Six Nations Agricultural Fair of 1922.

Some of the earliest objects in the Chiefswood Collection – this ball-headed club, a powder horn and a collection of silver brooches – belonged to her great grandparents, and date to the period of the American Revolution (1776 – 1783) and the War of 1812.

If you see an error or have additional information, please contact us by clicking here.