Vase - ROM2015_14756_9

ROM2015_14756_9

Vase

Maker: The Allach Porcelain Factory (S.S Factory)
Medium:Hard-paste porcelain
Geography: Allach, Germany
Date: 1936-1945
Dimensions:
14 x 18 cm
Object number: 999.119.64
Credit Line: Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Weinberg. Certified by the Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board under the terms of the Cultural Property Export and Import Act. Atteste par la Commission canadienne d'examen des exportations de biens culturels en vertu de la Loi sur L'Exportation et L'Importation de Biens Culturels.
Not on view
Description

In 1935, Franz Nagy and Prof. Kal Diebitsch set up a porcelain factory in the town of Allach, not far from Munich. In 1936, the factory was taken over by Heinrich Himmler and the SS. In 1940, it was remodelled for production in other ceramic bodies, and by 1943 its porcelain production had been transferred to a sub-camp at Dachau. Here, prisoners worked as slave labourers alongside German workers to produce porcelain statuettes and tableware sold under the Allach name. The factory complement was around 100. Allach porcelain production continued to the end of World War II, with as many as 3000 Jews and 6000 non-Jews held prisoners in the same camp. The factory is but one example of the manner in which industrial production and the concentration camp system became entwined, with slave labour and genocide used for private profit. The luxury wares of the Allach factory were directed toward the satisfaction of the aesthetic tastes of its SS clientele. Close to 240 different models for porcelain statuettes, busts, vases, and other assorted decorative table wares were developed by the factory between 1935 and 1945.

If you see an error or have additional information, please contact us by clicking here.